Monday, August 16, 2010

Super Easy Berry Ice Cream

I came out of a much-needed meditation this evening with an intense craving for ice cream (for those of you who know me, this is not unusual). Fortunately for Father's Day Little One and I gave my husband an ice cream maker (he loves ice cream even more than I do so this was not a completely selfish gift). Usually I go for slightly more complicated and time-consuming custard based recipes, but today I needed my frozen sweetness now. I improvised the recipe and worked with what I had on hand, but the result was pretty delicious so I thought I'd share...


For about 1 1/2 quarts you'll need:

1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup whole milk
1 1/2 cups frozen berries (whatever you fancy will work; I used Trader Joes Organic mix of raspberries, blueberries, and blackberries. You could use fresh berries instead but they must be chilled- if they're at room temperature you'll want to puree them then refrigerate for an hour or two before blending with the other ingredients or else the ice cream will be very liquid-y)
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
pinch salt

In blender combine all ingredients and blend until smooth. Pour into ice cream maker following manufacturer's instructions. Because I used frozen berries the mix was pretty close to ice cream consistency before I even put it into the ice cream maker so if you don't have one you could probably just put the mix in the freezer for an hour or two and then enjoy, though it will get a bit hard. If you do use a machine you probably won't have to churn the mix as long as you normally would since it is partially frozen to begin with. Enjoy!

1 comment: