Monday, August 30, 2010

Manic Monday

The last few days have a been a bit of a jumble. Little One is (I think) starting to teethe, or at least going through an especially tumultuous growth spurt. She continues to be a delight during the day (albeit a very drool-y, finger-gnawing one!) but during the night she thrashes around, escapes her swaddling (or baby straight-jacket as we've taken to calling it) and cries or whimpers at least every hour. For the most part she sleeps right through all of this activity, but I, unfortunately, cannot say the same. All this is to say that my brain is not cooperating with coming up with a cohesive post for this evening, so I thought I'd go with a little list of things I'm thinking about in my sleep-deprived state...

I borrowed this image from the recipe's site- my batch did not last long enough to take a picture
Cupcakes: I made a batch of these coconut heath bar bits of divinity yesterday for our group meditation. They were quite possibly the most delicious things I've ever made (if I do say so myself). I recommend trying them out next time you have a sweet craving (I topped them with this super easy chocolate buttercream just to really go overboard).

I loved Jan Brett's books when I was a child- does that excuse stealing this image?
Town vs. Country: I've been feeling torn recently between the vibrant activity and diverse possibility of city life (where we're at now) and the slowed down pace and connection to the natural world of more rural environs (where I'm from). I'm constantly weighing the benefits and drawbacks of both for our family and what I want Little One to be exposed to. No decisions are being made just yet, but the questions are definitely brewing...

Women in the Veda: This has been a longstanding area of interest for me (really the role of women in all spiritual and religious traditions), but my upcoming retreat has me fully enmeshed in research of this particular vein. My Sourcebook in Indian Philosophy by the brilliant Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan and Charles A. Moore arrived recently and has occupied every spare moment I have to sit down with a book. I'm discovering an interesting mix of (seemingly conflicting at times) ideals and ideologies that have got my mind spinning (though a bit slower than usual!).


Art-making with children: Before dedicating myself to teaching meditation I worked in an arts enrichment program teaching visual art, drama, and yoga to elementary school students. I loved it and look forward to creating art with Little One and her friends as soon as possible. I've been especially inspired since discovering The Artful Parent (I think I've read nearly every post while nursing recently! Such a beautiful process-oriented approach and projects for even the very young have me so excited to introduce Little One to the world of creating that I so love (and starting a toddler art group!).

Of course, for me this also brings up the many (many many many) projects I have begun personally... Rather than feeling frustration or regret though (as has been the norm at times) I'm actually feeling inspiration more than anything. I know I can't take on or finish everything, but that that little spark of creative energy is still there in this somewhat exhausted state is quite reassuring. That spark is what I'll be relying on to get me to the next post here!

4 comments:

  1. Sleep dep: have you tried "heavy hand?" It's working for me with Ava right now. She stirs twice a night (I feel super lucky right now, hope she doesn't start in on every hour like her friend Saskia! Phew girl, I feel for ya! Other things are getting tougher with this one though...) and one of those times she always needs to be fed and it seems like one of those times "heavy hand" quiets her down and stops the squirmies really quickly. Try placing a firm pressure (obviously not too firm) on saskia's chest with your palm and I always try to pass on my calmest energy through my hand, which usually makes me fall asleep as I'm just trying to relax deeply and then I wake up and find my hand is still on her and she's comfortably passed out underneath! Also, maybe try pushing your 3 sided crib (aka the shelf) up against the bed and using it like the co-sleeper. Maybe with some space, you'll get better rest? Just some stuff I find working for us at the moment. May be worth a shot? Who knows!? Ahhhh, I go through periods of this with Ava. Good luck!
    Cupcakes: how on Earth are you so thin?? Those sound delish!!!!
    Town vs country: Your lease will be up soon... You should do some research and see where it leads you! Maybe you don't need to go far to feel more (for lack of a better word and for how exhausted I am right now) settled (I hate that word!!). Maybe there is somewhere in the LA area that would bring those two environments together? Maybe you just head north, let's say to the Portland area?? Hehe move north ;) but in all seriousness, you have the freedom! You've been questioning for a few months now. Have you been considering anywhere specific?
    Women: I'm excited for the retreat and to hear what you have to say! See you soon!!
    Art making: I'm also excited to make art with Ava! We will have to trade ideas! And I will have to check out this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really loving your blog, Angie. It's so funny...for whatever reason you and your sweet little family crossed my mind recently (must have been seeing photos of your visit home) and I wondered if you might ever think of being close to where you grew up? And, then I read this post. I grew up in a small town in Ohio and often ponder the benefits of being in the more quiet life of the country vs. the busy-ness of the city even without a family of my own. Thanks for what you are putting out here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Firstly, the cupcakes and the icing were sooooo nice but they were rationed!

    Hi Jen, lovely to see you on here. How's it all going?

    We've noticed a bit of a difference in Saskia when she's in the country compared to the city. She seems to sleep a little more. And here in Venice it's pretty busy at time, with the beach and boardwalk a 100 yards away.

    Having said that, I think we're needed here in the city in terms of our meditation teaching.

    Lots of love
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the advice Maggie! The "heavy hand" is something I have tried- it often works when she is falling asleep, but hasn't been helpful recently- I think because she is actually still sleeping when the fussing/movement happens. Ah well, nothing seems to last too long with her so I can weather this phase I'm sure:) We're so excited to see you guys so soon!!

    Jenn, thanks for the lovely words of encouragement. I enjoy your beautiful blog also, you're writing conveys such a calm grace- it exudes from the page (screen?). Hope to see you soon- India perhaps?

    ReplyDelete