Monday, September 6, 2010

Healthy-ish Almond Butter Cookies

I did some baking experimentation to create a snack for our group meditation this weekend- started with a basic peanut butter cookie recipe then played around to create a healthier, almond butter version. The result was soft, cake-like cookies that everyone enjoyed. My only change for next time would be to substitute almond extract for the vanilla to impart a stronger almond flavor. Happy baking!



1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter- softened but still cool
6 tbsp unsweetened apple sauce
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup maple syrup (grade B is best but A will work as well)
1 cup almond butter
2 large eggs
2 1/2 tsp vanilla or almond extract
1 cup dried cranberries (optional, but I liked the texture and flavor these added)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees and grease cookie sheets.
Sift together flours, baking soda, baking powder, and salt and set aside.
Cream butter and apple sauce until well combined. Add sugar and maple syrup to butter/apple sauce. Beat in almond butter then add eggs, one at a time, and vanilla or almond extract. Stir in flour mixture then dried cranberries. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto prepared cookie sheets and bake for 10-12 minute or until edges are lightly browned and cookies are fluffy. Enjoy! (Makes approx. 3 dozen)

1 comment:

  1. Angie. I love you! What a great invention! I'll have to try them sometime.
    Hey, I'm all excited about concocting Secret Breakfast. Let's do it Thursday morning straight away when T and I get there so it will be ready for that night's festivities. :) That can be my contribution, but I'd love your consultation... I think I've made up the recipe, but maybe a few tweeks here and there from your brain would be smart?
    xo
    P.S. I've got our tickets, got our dogs a place to board... we're ready to go and I'm so excited! RETREAT here I come! WOOHOO! I'm ready!

    ReplyDelete